BMW 116d EfficientDynamics Plus 5 Door
What is it?
THE BMW small hatch range reviewed here in 116d EfficientDynamics Plus form. This is the greenest, most business-friendly version of the face-lifted BMW 1 Series range
The 116d EfficientDynamics Plus is the latest BMW Group model to be fitted with the three-cylinder 1.5-litre diesel, first seen in the current F56 and F55 MINI Cooper D diesels.
- Whether in 1 Series or MINI, the 1.5-litre diesel has the same 114bhp and 270Nm of torque. However, where the 1 Series scores, is that aerodynamic changes mean that this engine in the BMW is even more efficient, with 83.1mpg fuel economy and 89g/km C02 emissions. Although, the current Volkswagen Golf Bluemotion holds the economy crown for this class at 88.3mpg.
- This ‘Ultimate Driving Machine’s’ focus might be more on economy, but the 116d EfficientDynamics Plus is still good fun to drive. Highlights include the sharp, responsive steering and impressive rear-drive balance to the handling.
- The interior is an attractive, high quality, driver-focused place. However, there are too many grains and grade of plastics to make it feel as classy as say, an Audi A3.
- The driving position in the 1 Series is excellent too, with plenty of seat adjustment for most to get comfortable.
- The 116d EfficientDynamics Plus is impressively well-equipped with a DAB radio, 16-inch alloy wheels, Bluetooth, climate control, a multi-function steering wheel, rear parking sensors and auto lights. Plus, from September, sat-nav will be added to the already comprehensive standard kit list.
- 114bhp doesn’t sound very much, but the 1.5-litre diesel has plenty of low down pull – acceleration to 62mph takes 10.4 seconds and the top speed is 121mph.
- The low CO2 emissions mean the 116d EfficientDynamics Plus falls into the 16% company car tax band for 2015/16 tax year.