BMW 640d M Sport Coupe review
What is it?
THE mildly face-lifted version of the 640d Coupe, which boasts tweaked looks, more equipment and most importantly, it’s more efficient and therefore cheaper to run.
- The 640d’s 313bhp, 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged, six-cylinder engine is a gem and has to be one of the sportiest diesels around. The top speed of 155mph and 0-62mph acceleration of just 5.5 seconds might be unchanged, but thanks to the latest EfficientDynamics features and aerodynamic changes, CO2 emissions drop to 147g/km. Go for the SE trim and this figure drops to an amazing 139 g/km.
- The low CO2 emissions mean the 640d M Sport falls into the 27% company car tax band for 2015/16.
- Exterior changes for the face-lifted 6-Series are minor and even after four-years on sale, this BMW Coupe is a distinctive and attractive looking car.
- This 640d M Sport Coupe certainly drives well enough to justify its M Sport badging, with gutsy acceleration, sharp steering, composed handling and impressive rear wheel drive balance.
- Our BMW 640d M Sport Coupe review car was also fitted with optional Adaptive Drive, which is recommended, as with a simple push of the rocker switch next to the gearchange you can choose a variety of sport and comfort settings. With the large alloys of the M Sport package, we found the default option on this car was the comfort setting, as it seemed the best compromise between comfort and dynamism.
- It’s not as new as it once was, but the 6 Series still has to have one of the most attractive, driver-focused interiors that BMW has produced. we really liked the sweeping dash section, that is trimmed in leather with contrasting stitching, which also runs along the centre console
- The driving position in the 6 Series is excellent too, with plenty of seat adjustment for most to get comfortable.
- The BMW 640d has an impressive level of standard equipment including LED headlights, leather trim, the Professional Navigation system and trick multi-function instruments.
- The 640d’s boot is a good size and practically-shaped.