Close this search box.
Sign up for our weekly Newsletter

Mustang heads the Top 10 250PS+ performance coupe sales

Glynn Mustang SMMT_Test Day_113 e1472122559914
Mustang heads the Top 10 250PS+ sales charts


25 August 2016

FORD has the UK’s most popular high-performance sports coupe, ahead of rivals from Porsche, BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes, as Mustang heads the Top 10 250PS+ performance sales charts.

Figures for sports cars with 250PS or more put the Mustang at the front of the pack from January to July 2016.

Since Ford started taking orders in January 2015, the Ford Mustang has topped 4,000 sales to date, with total 2016 registrations at 2,317, so far. This puts the Mustang comfortably at the top of the table with the closest rival being the Jaguar F-Type with 1,446.

The current split in sales across models shows that 70% of Mustang customers specified the 416PS 5.0-litre V8 engine, with the remaining 30% favouring the 317PS 2.3-litre EcoBoost. Total customer orders for the Ford Mustang in Europe now stand at more than 19,500 since the car was launched in the third quarter of 2015.

In the performance car sales league, the Mustang is far and away the most affordable, with the 2.3 EcoBoost from £30,995 and the V8 only £4,000 more – still nearly £5,000 less than the lowest priced Porsche, the 718 Cayman and a third of the price of the hybrid supercar BMW i8.

Top 10 250PS+ performance vehicles (YTD July 2016):

Model Sales January-July 2016 Priced from
Ford Mustang 2,317 £30,995
Jaguar F-Type 1,446 £51,775
BMW 6 Series 1,367 £59,535
Porsche 911 1,315 £76,412
Porsche Cayman (now 718) 787 £39,878
Audi TT (TTS & TT RS) 778 £39,695
Porsche Boxster (now 718) 526 £41,739
Mercedes SL 489 £73,580
Porsche 718 (was Cayman) 482 £39,878
BMW i8 382 £104,540

Since June this year, all Mustang models have been fitted sophisticated SYNC 3 infotainment system as standard, offering a redesigned eight-inch touchscreen and faster performance, and the ability for drivers to control their connected smartphones, audio, navigation, and climate functions with more conversational voice commands.

In addition, the new Ford Mustang is available to order with three new colour options – Grabber Blue, Lightning Blue and White Platinum.

The Mustang’s popular European introduction is another page in the exciting Ford Performance story, which continues with the success of ST, Fiesta ST200, Focus RS and GT. More than 6,500 enthusiasts applied to buy the all-new Ford GT in just one month – with over 500 from the UK alone.

The Ford Mustang is available from the 75 FordStore locations across the UK, and via the fully customisable online configurator.

Award Winners 2024

Share this article


Want more motoring news?

Sign up here for our free weekly serving of motoring.

Sign up here for our free weekly serving of motoring.

Latest news