Range Rover Sport 3.0 SD6 HSE Dynamic review
What is it?
THE mid-range model in the Range Rover SUV line up.
This might be the mid-range Range Rover Sport model, but it still has plenty of standard kit and the list price, as you might expect, is a heady £67,150 without extras, of which there were many on our reviewcar.
How does it compare with more modern rivals such as the BMW X5 or the lastest Audi Q7? Let’s find out.
- Whereas the Range Rover has classic styling cues, the Sport borrows much from the more youthful-looking baby of the range – the Evoque. Highlights include the imposing front design with the headlights and their distinctive daytime running lights. Plus the curvier, more youthful roofline and the rear styling with the Sport’s high-set rear LED lights. Overall, the latest Range Rover Sport looks pleasingly discreet compared to the last.
- Our Range Rover Sport was powered by the 3.0-litre SD6, which has a punchy and refined 292bhp but despite its considerable size and weight, the use of aluminium in its construction, means it is kind at the pumps, with a 37.7mpg combined fuel figure.
- As capable as the legendary Land Rover badge would suggest off road, the Range Rover Sport feels impressively sharp on it, with precise steering and body roll kept well under control. It’s certainly the most involving drive after the BMW X5. How? Well, the standard Terrain Response system allows the driver to tune the car’s handling dynamics, depending on the road surface. For example, in Dynamic mode, while the steering is still light, there’s next to no body roll and lots of grip. Even on optional 22-inch wheels, the ride was still comfortable.
- Whilst it is not the range-topping SVR, our HSE Dynamic trim had a pleasing, hand-made and high-quality feel to the leather upholstery and interior finishes.
- Not as big as the full-fat Range Rover, but there’s enough roof for three to travel comfortably and the boot at 784 litres is bigger than a BMW X5.
- A specification highlight of the Vogue SE has to be the 250 watt Range Rover sound system, fitted as standard. The sound quality is excellent.